I’ve been working away over the last few weeks to figure out how we can return in our relatively small space. As you know, throughout the lockdown we have been individually using the space, and using it very infrequently (I’ve only been a handful of times myself!).
I’ve now set up a more automated booking system on the wesbite here so members can book in your own time-slots for when you want to come and work. These bookings will be visible to other co-op members but not to the public. More below on how to book in.
I will be starting classes again from the 5th August, so these slots will be blocked out on the calendar already. I will also need to close the workshop to co-op members 1.5 hours before class so I can make sure the workshop is clean before my students arrive and 30 mins after class so I can clean again. These will be blocked out too as cleaning time so please don’t book these times to work.
As a reminder the classes will run on Wednesday evening, Thursday evening and Thursday morning. So the workshop will be unavailable from 4.30pm – 8.30pm on Wednesday and 8.30am-12.30pm + 4.30pm-8.30pm on Thursday. Apologies in advance for the extra time the cleaning will take up, but I’d rather be safe than sorry!
I will be requiring everyone to wear a mask of some kind whilst in the studio. Most of you will have seen the mask I wear sometimes in the studio anyway, this would actually be my top recommendation, it is comfortable and the filters are designed specifically to protect us from fumes that can be created from metalworking anyway (pickling etc.), hence why I would recommend this mask and these filters:
(side note – I’ve contacted 3M about buying some of these in bulk to get a group discount and will let you know the outcome – no promises though).
3M™ Reusable Low Maintenance Half Face Mask
3M™ ABE1 Gas and Vapour Filters 6057 (Cartridge or filter type ABE1)
Booking Workshop Time.
For now you will need to book in for each session you wish to attend in advance. I have created a booking system here on the website and each of you will be able to create an account to make it easy for you to book your workshop time. To create your account go to the Member’s Area in the website menu and then go to Member Sign-Up. Make sure to choose the Co-op Member option at the end of the sign-up page otherwise the website will not allow you to book the workshop.
Once you have created an account, you can book studio time, please follow these steps to book in:
- Check the events calendar to see if your chosen time is available (http://thejewellerybusiness.uk/events/)
- If your time-slot is already booked, check on the details of the booking, it will say here if the member is willing to share the workshop or not. You can book a session at the same time (if they will share) or book a different time.
- To book yourself in, go to Member’s Area then Studio Booking Time.
- Choose ‘Workshop space booking’ from the drop down menu.
- Add the event title as your name (eg. ‘Emmie Studio Time’). Add the date and the start and finish time.
- Importantly: add in the description box if you are willing to work with others or if you want the studio alone. This is really important as some members are shielding vulnerable family members. The maximum capacity for the workshop now is 5 people. You may choose how many people you are happy to share with. (eg. ‘Happy to share with 1 other’ or Happy to share with 4 others’ or ‘I want to work alone’).
Edit or deleting your booking:
- Make sure you are signed into your member account.
- Go to the events calendar and click on your booking.
- Click the ‘admin’ tab.
- Delete or make the changes to your booking that are required. – Go to the event setup tab to make changes to the time/date etc.
I think this system should work fine, but we’ll work it out and change what we need as we go to make sure everyone is accommodated and it is working :). I’ll communicate with you all individually to see what will work for you and will welcome feedback so we can evolve.
Please note: If you or a household member are showing any symptoms of Covid-19 you must stay at home.
Cleaning the Workshop.
All of the work benches are now spaced out around the edge of the room and the tools are located in the middle. You’ll find hand sanitizer on each desk. As always there will be hand-soap by the sink.
I will be cleaning the workshop before and after each class as mentioned above. I will need you to also clean when you leave the studio (otherwise I would have to come each time any member is in and out!). Please set aside some time to clean before you leave. This is what I would ask you to do:
-Wash hands as soon as you come in.
-Clean door handles, switches and the light chord.
-Use a clean tea-towel for yourself and leave it to be washed when you leave. (I might ask for help with laundry duties later or for you to bring your own tea-towels to use – but for now I’ll try and keep a clean supply going).
-Wipe down the bench you have used with Dettol or bleach spray.
-Any tools you use – clean them before you replace them. If they are wood/plastic you can use the bleach/Dettol on a cloth. If they are metal – use the heat gun (under the tumbler desk) to heat them up.
-Clean tool/appliance switches/handles you have used – gas tap, water tap, kettle etc.
Once you get into a routine with this it doesn’t take long. I’ll provide the cleaning products.
If you have any questions or concerns please just ask me! I’m looking forward to having you all back again and making use of the space ~ Emmie.